Thursday, August 9, 2007

How did it all start?

We have been thinking about digital signage for the past three and a half years. I was sitting in a mall in London, sometime in August 2004. The mall used to be a common meeting place for my Dad and me where he would come and pick me up after attending his surgery (he is a doctor). I used to spend about an hour everyday sipping tea and working on my laptop.

Sitting in the mall and sipping tea, I used to see wooden displays that would help hapless shopaholics navigate through the maze of shops. I started wondering, what if these displays could be a little more than directions?

This was when the first thoughts of InfoSignz germinated.

LCD displays were just about picking up speed in the market. Costs were still prohibitive at that time, but I was pretty sure such dynamic displays were to come, sooner than later.

Upon coming back from India, I discussed this idea with my business partners and friends. Met with quite an enthusiastic response. However, we were not able to immediately start working on this concept as we had some other priorities to take care - InfoBeans had just about to grow and spread its wings, and we did not see it fit at that time to start worrying about something else.

I started my MBA at IIM Indore that fall. As an assignment for a communication and presentation class, I thought of preparing a presentation on this idea. It was at that time when the drops started to crystalize into something more concrete. I was able to clearly see what the future was coming to. Digital displays will all kinds of possibilities.

Enough on the history.

Will get back soon with more on the meat of the product. No, the platform!

In the meantime, check out my profile on a favorite website of mine - linkedin.com. If you are there and would like to be linkedin with me, feel free - ssethi@gmail.com is my email address.

No comments: